Monday, May 25, 2009


13.1 Miles & Still Standing

The last time I had attempted a half-marathon on March 8th, I had run exactly .8 miles since October. This time I was by no means ready, but I had run a lot more. I even ran one 5 mile run. I can give a list of 1,001 excuses - but to be honest - I just didn't run. That is the reason I wasn't ready. So instead again - this would be another "training run." We met up with Robert and Heather (part of the Ohio contingency of the 7:11 running club.)

We woke up early on Saturday - caught the bus to the start. It was beautiful, high 50's and slightly overcast. I started running and felt great. We did the run a mile - walk a minute strategy that works well for me. Most of the miles were around 11 minutes. But again, this was training. Bruce is a great partner, but I always feel that I am holding him back. I made a deal with myself - I would at least get to 8 miles - that is what I got to in the Disney Princess half-marathon. But once we got to 8 and I was still feeling good we made it to 10. Then we walked two and ran the last 1.1 mile in. It was fun, at the end, I did not feel like death and the scenery was awesome. I would definitely run this 1/2 marathon again.

After the run - we took a short nap - then we headed to lunch at Sledders (a not so crowded bar close to downtown.) Then we did some shopping - I was a big fan of the shoe stores, because there was ample seating - though I did not die, I was still tired. We tried to find a decent cup of coffee in Traverse City - but we had no such luck. So entrepreneurs - here's a call - start a coffee place in TC - serve a decent cup of Joe and you will make a killing.

So what do tired runners do when they are well tired. See a movie off course at the local cinemas. What hot summer hit movie did we see? Drum Roll...... The Hannah Montana Movie. Oh that is right - we did surprise the ticket salesman - when he asked what we wanted to see and how many tickets and we said "Hannah Montana & two adults." But due to the fact that the 7:11 club - loves Hannah & Miley (playing many of the songs on repeat on our car rides to Interlaken.) It just made perfect sense. The theater consisted of 8 people - a father/daughter, a mother/daughter and well us. We sang, we clapped, we cried and we had a lot of fun, but now we are trying to learn the line dance - this quickly reveals that we are way above the target audience, because well I can do the first part slow - very slow - but once you get the music going at tempo - well that is were I faulter.

Yesterday, we enjoyed a trip to the Mission Point Lighthouse, a winer, dinner at Boone's (No not Boones farm - however, - "I hear that the snow peak peach flavor is the best flavor of Boones." - Juno) - Go Karting and then the pool. Frankly I am exhausted just thinking about it.

Today we were up early and on the road - because we stopped for lunch at the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth. Robert had never been and thought that today would be the perfect time. Then I came home and quickly took a long well deserved nap.

2 comments:

Magical Me said...

boom boom clap . . . boom de clap de clap.

That is my goal this summer.

jack said...

This blog is so good , the view is wright and important in our lifeCheap Ravens Jerseys
Ray Rice Jersey
Lardarius Webb Jersey
Torrey Smith Jersey
Wes Welker Jersey
Rob Gronkowski Jersey