Sunday, May 17, 2009

America Girl Weekend

Mother's Day weekend - I headed to Chicago with my mom for a girl's weekend out. My mom had promised Sophie a trip to the American Girl Store - to much of my sister's shigrin. See growing up, I had been the one in our family that had loved barbies and dolls. Krista preferred legos and games. Well she was blessed with the girliest girl ever. Sophie loves barbies, dolls, cries that the notion of wearing jeans and of course her favorite colors are pink followed closely by purple.

So when she at five years-old started to devour the American Girl books - my mom knew that she must go to mecca (aka the gates of hell for my sister) the American Girl Store in Chicago. Now this was supposed to be a trip that included my cousin Olivia and my Aunt Elena, but then there was a conflict - so instead Krista and I filled in. Now this was not an awful trip for me because despite the fact that I am 30 - I have an American Girl doll that is living in mint condition in my basement that I bought when I was about 10 years-old.


So we headed to the store - Sophie had narrowed down the list to three or four dolls she was interested in. But we all knew that she would end up with the depression era doll - Kit because well Kit and Sophie have the same hair cut, same coloring - well everything except the eyes. Sophie will quickly let you know that Kit has blue eyes and her eyes are hazel.


It was so much fun watching Sophie jump around the store with pure joy. Krista was a little more reserved. We looked at each doll and all her accessories (pronounced by my niece Asorceries - she is an avid reader and she knows alot of words - but some only because she has read them, so they have a unique pronounciation. She is smart as a whip though - that unlike the girliness she gets from my sister.)

Finally she decided on Kit. And Aunt Jennie - well I had to do my part - so my mom bought the doll and I bought the matching outfit for Sophie. Sophie put the outfit on immediately and everyone in the store was like - that little girl looks just like Kit. She felt like a movie star.



Then we headed up stairs for lunch. Of course Kit got her own chair next to Sophie. And Sophie made sure she had enough tea. I think my sister hit her American Girl Quota before lunch was even over, however, Sophie told us during lunch that this was her best childhood memory. I know that made her Grandmother's mother's day.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the memories! Thanks for writing it down for us. It brings it all back to me. (Owww, my eyes! my eyes!)

Your loving sister, Krista!

JH said...

I think the best part - was the fact that she requested mom to send Kit a birthday present for her birthday. I love that kid.

jack said...

it is great and like it very much.Ravens Jerseys
Ray Rice Jersey
Lardarius Webb Jersey
Torrey Smith Jersey
Wes Welker Jersey
Rob Gronkowski Jersey