Thursday, April 17, 2008

Champions at Work

This weekend, I am traveling on a charter bus filled with 57 kids to Lansing. Well actually it's a chartered bus and a minivan. It's the SkillsUSA state competition. Now I am excited because it is really cool as a teacher to see your students step up and compete, however to be doing it the weekend after getting you got back from Europe - makes it a little exhausting. Yes Bruce and I don't do anything at half-speed, well I would but I married Bruce and he does nothing at half-speed. So right now I am waiting for laundry to finish so I can pack and frankly I am fading fast.

For me the SkillsUSA competition is a love hate relationship. I am one of two coordinators for our building. Which means I arrange the registration and hotel for the entire school. I am also the advisor for me students, which means I help prepare them for their individual contests. And then I am coordinator for the Television Production contest which means I help set the standards for the contests and find the judges. (Thank you so much Olive & Angie! Next fruity drink night the first round is all me.)All in all, I think I sometimes bite off more than I can chew. To be honest it always seems like a good idea at the time, but its on nights like this that I wonder what I did in a past life that makes me prone to self-punishment.

In other news as much as it sounds like I am whining right now, I really am not. I was just thinking about how lucky I am to have my job. I really really love working with high school students. Yes, I will admit they can be huge pains in my side, but in the end I am really grow to love my students. (Even the ones that hate me.) It's now my third year at this job and I am still enjoying it. I know I will have a great weekend, however, I am sure that Monday morning will require a large Tim Horton's coffee on the way to work.

1 comment:

Beach Bum said...

It's not whining, it's venting!
If you're anything like me, once it's said out loud then it's OVER! And you move on! That's what's so fun about blogging! Have a great trip! Just think how lucky you are to have Tim Horton's waiting for you upon your return! Robert has to wait weeks to get a cup straight from the source. Making it at home is good, but it's just not quite the same!