Wednesday, February 25, 2009

From DMT to DMA

So, it's been official for a while but it has been a slow release of information (hence silence on the TiVo Changed My Life Blog), but I have a new job. Yes, I am moving from DMT to DMA. What does that mean? It means that I am leaving the Digital Media Technology class at St. Clair TEC (where I have been teaching for the past 3.67 years) and moving to the Digital Media Arts class at Lapeer County Ed-Tech.

Why move in the middle of the year? Well to be honest it isn't ideal (especially for my students - who I will miss a lot) but that's sometimes how this work out and in the end it's really Bruce's fault. I am sure you are asking - what does Bruce have to do with this and frankly, everything.

See he got me into this whole teaching thing and well for those of you that don't know - I will be taking over his job in Lapeer, just like I took over his job in St. Clair. What?

Well it all started one day with a woman who was looking for the quilt exhibit at Henry Ford Museum. Yes, I was working in the Public Relations office and I was standing around watching a film crew to make sure they didn't jump the barriers. A woman came up to me and asked me were the quilt exhibit was - I told her it wasn't anymore - but then because well I was bored out of my skull - I asked her were she was from. She said, "Port Huron." I said, oh my husband teaches up in Marysville - she said where - I said St. Clair TEC. She said, I used to teach there, I said wow, she said what class does your husband teach, I said Digital Media Technology (DMT.)

That's when she told me that here school was hiring someone for a new position that was very much digital media. She said that it was less days and more money - I said, well I will tell Bruce. I did - he claims that he heard about it before - but I like my version better. So he applies and low and behold he is hired. In his last days at St. Clair TEC he comes home and says to me - I think you should apply for my job at St. Clair TEC. I said, really, he said yes and I said ok. I applied, they took a chance on me and I was hired.

I must admit that I love teaching at St. Clair TEC. There is only one thing I don't like about my drive and it's my 45 minute commute. Now don't get me wrong - it is my fault - because I had to fall in love with a house in Lapeer County. And every morning when I wake up early to get ready and get to work - I am jealous of my husband who can sleep just a little longer and his drive to work is 1.5 miles.

Then in November - a job at Oxford High School (Oxford, Michigan) came up and Bruce was offered the job - he accepted and it seemed like a no brainer - I would apply for his job. I did and I got it. So on March 13th - I will say goodbye to my colleagues and students at St. Clair TEC. And then that following Monday - I will start in Lapeer.

I am not going to lie - I may have teared up a little when telling my students - but hey what can I say - that's me - "captain emotional." But for the most part everyone has been very understanding - not exactly happy - but very understanding.

But in the meantime - check out the awesome work my students have been doing - they produced and directed their very first TEC News. I am very proud of them. They are currently in the process of working on the second edition. There has been a great response at school - so I am really happy for them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will miss you here in St. Clair County, but Hugh Congratulations...You are truely a great teacher....

Paul

Magical Me said...

I saw this on Yahoo! News and thought of you immediately.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/home_journal_news/4309587.html

Trust me, it's life-changing.

Anonymous said...

way to go