Sunday, December 17, 2006

A day of baking... baking...
and some more.. well baking...

Today, my "new best friend," Marina came over to bake Christmas Cookies. This was very exciting, considering last year, I baked them by myself and at the end, I felt like never baking again and poking myself in the eye with the frosting knife, but I digress and that is a story for another time.

Anyway, "New Best Friend" came over today about 2:30pm and we baked and decorated until 7:30 pm. Let me tell you, five hours of cookie craziness is much better with a friend. There is something about frosting cookies that can make you go insane. Yes, white room, straight jacket insane.

Today we made sugar cookies, peanut butter kisses, gingerbread cookies and gingies (the lazy cousin of the ginger bread cookie.) The first cookies we made where sugar cookies, and well at first it looked like it was going to be a very long afternoon. Our first few came out of the oven closely resembled star shaped dog biscuits. However, we started to perfect the cookie and all was well. The gingerbread did throw us for a loop, we made a double batch and that required well 12 cups of flour. I couldn't believe it, because of course I read that after I had mixed everything in the bowl of my mixer that I was fairly sure couldn't handle 12 cups of flour. But never fear, I tried it. And I was lucky because it fit. However, I guess I didn't remember how many cookies a double batch of gingerbread made. Needless to say if you like gingerbread I am your gal, we have close to a million. Hence the gingie, which is a cute ball of gingerbread, which required now cutting out with cookie cutters and no frosting.

We also made peanut butter kiss cookies, which are super easy. I had never made them before, because frankly I wasn't sure how they got the kiss to not melt in the oven. Well I learned the trick is you don't put the kiss on, until after you bake it. Go figure. I am sure you are all as shocked as I was to learn this "trade secret."

All in all it was a very enjoyable day... with one exception and that was a story of a shelf holding all my pewabic tiles and pin collection (yes we already knew I was a dork) falling and crashing to the floor. I will blog about it later when it doesn't hurt so much. Right now, I am not going to lie it hurts.

No comments: