Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Why I Love/Loathe International Travel

I am sitting here at the Newark Airport, 13 hours into our trip, waiting for our connecting flight to Detroit. We have nearly a 4 hour layover so it wasn't a rush - which is good and bad. Good because you don't have panic as you go through customs, wait for your luggage and then try to re-check your bags praying that they will make your flight. However, I am sitting in the A terminal of Newark airport with hundreds of other travelers in these oh so comfortable chairs, just wishing I was home. 

Our flight from London was not so bad. It made it off the ground on time, however, I had a small child sitting behind me that felt it was a super fun game to kick the back of my chair for 7 hours and 40 minutes. His mother seemed to be oblivious of his actions. I tried to get to the Zen place and realize that he is a little boy and it's a long flight - but it took all the I could to not turn around and bite his head off. The other highlight of the trip was when that same little boy broke some part of the seat and the efficient flight attendant came to fix it, but slamming her hand into the back of my seat several times - giving me whiplash - then when I looked back startled she sweetly replied I'm just trying to fix the seat. I understand that lady but a little warning before you body check me with the seat would be much appreciated. I was already crafting my letter to continental airlines to complain. 

Dear Continental, 

I understand that you are now training your flight attendants to defend the plane in case of attack, however could you please encourage them not to break out those skills on defenseless sleeping passengers. For this is what happened to me on my flight back from London - as your flight attendant claim to be fixing the seat, however, I have learned that she has a mean right.

Your Truly,
Jennie "with neck injuries" Holladay

Last time I wrote a letter to an airline, they gave me 500 bonus miles. Oh yeah baby - 500 frequent flier miles closer to a free trip on your airlines instead of paying hundreds of dollars for the same awesome experience. 

Ok if you can tell by now this is my most un-favorite part of the international travel. This day is always the day that I wish I had the money to shell out of first class. As I walk by the huge seats on my way back to coach - I just say small prayers hoping that someday I will be bumped up on a Trans-Atlantic flight.

It's been over a month since I have been home. I was telling Bruce on the plane the two things I missed the most were ice cubes. I am not sure why Europeans haven't embraced the ice cube like we have, but I miss that nice tall glass of ice water at dinner (or any time really.) The second was the frequency of bathrooms - they just aren't as plentiful as they are in the states when you are out in public.

However don't get me wrong - there are things I will miss about Europe. The very convenient public transit system. There are many more but right now I am thinking about home and my dog - Daisy. Well here's to hoping our flight to Detroit takes off reasonably close to on time. Again, I love to travel - I just don't love the current condition of air travel.

No comments: