Saturday, August 23, 2008


It Wasn't Pretty - But I Finished

Today, I finished the 10 mile Crim Road Race. We started the run at 8 am and it was already 78 degrees. By the time I got to the 7th mile - I was so hot. This is when I am glad that I am a wimp and I listen to my body - because when I felt that I was going to pass out or blow chunks like many other people did - I just stopped and walked. I finished the race in 1:52 minutes, which isn't breaking any records, but I finished. I have been coming to the Crim Road Race as long as I can remember and this was the first time I ran the 10 miles (with Bruce.) It actually was the first for a lot of people in my family. My Aunt Janet ran her first 10 and my identical cousin Kellie (who came in from DC for the race) ran her first ten.

The 7:11 crew came in town for the big event (MIA Tony and Meghan.) We had fun hanging out and the next event is Urbana, OH for a football game. It should be fun. Well as much fun as you can have a high school football game. Actually we will have more - because that is just our style. It's only been a couple a weeks (2) but it was great to see our friends again. Joe brought Lori and Quinn Robert's fam was back in Ohio because his little one was sick. Karyn ran the 10 too she was our winner - however she couldn't stay for the festivities because she was celebrating her 10 year high school reunion tonight. However I cannot verify this and who knows she may just want to get home to jump on her new trampoline (which by the way sets her up perfectly to compete in the 2012 Olympics.)After the race, it's a tradition in my family to hang out for the big party. Bruce said to my cousin Kellie today that it's about the race not the party. Kellie quickly informed him that he was wrong, and this is a clear sign that he is a new comer to the family, because it is about the party, the race is just a nice event before it. Now when I say party think - huge tent with food and beverages, with live music (DJ at first but then a live band.) This year's high light was the Contours - the one orginal member in the band showed up with his three fill ins for a concert. Now Bruce had to work tonight - so when he left early - he wasn't shamed, not by me or the family. However, I was told that I need to start schooling him on the ways of the Crim. However if you have ever met my family - you would know that it is always about the party. We love to laugh and have a good time and if there is no party - we find a way to make one. Below is a picture with me an my youngest cousin Olivia - she will be 7 this year - which makes her 23 years younger than me - you do the math. She ran the Teddy Bear Trot which is a quarter of a mile - she said to me that when she grows up like me - she will run the 10 mile too - hopefully I will be able to still run it with her.

We stayed at the party until after 2pm. Then we headed back to Lapeer County. My dad and mom drove me (which was a good thing, because I was exhausted.) Plus they had to come get their dog which was at my house I just got out of a much needed shower - I am sure my parents probably appreciate it more than I do. Now I am helping my mom upload her first video to YouTube. Then it will be time for a well deserved nap! So another 10 miler done, however next week will be a big challenge, Bruce and I have an 18 miler on the training schedule. I am hoping for very cool weather, because as I said today - I am a cold weather runner!

No comments: