Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A New Cell Phone

It was that time in my cell phone contract when I could upgrade to a new phone. I was actually excited about this idea, usually I am so in love with my cell phone by the time it comes due that I reject the new phone, because I have to get used to it and it doesn’t work like my old phone. But this time I was actually excited, why, well the new phone will have a better camera, which means better mo-blogging. Yes, I am always thinking about the TiVo Changed My Life audience. Plus it flips open two ways and well it makes me look cool (it’s a great optical illusion.)

However, the process in which I got the phone was frustrating. Here’s what happened, the story starts a couple months ago, Bruce got his new Motorola Q. When we were there the customer service informed me that I was eligible for my new cell phone on April 14th.

So on April 14th, which was Saturday, I excitably went to the Verizon Store in Uttica, to get my new phone.
When I arrived, they punched my name and number into their computer and I was put in line. Then salesman Dave approached me. He was a young seemingly friendly guy, but that soon changed.

The first thing he said was, “who’s Bruce?”
I replied, Bruce is my husband.

Well Dave tells me that Bruce must be there in order to get the phone, but I am more than welcome to buy it at full price. (Oh yes, Dave, that’s what I want to do instead of getting the renewal price, I want to pay 4 times as much. You read my mind) He then says I can only renew my line if I am an authorized user. I said that is funny because they would let me order it no problem online. I then ask if we can we call Bruce. He says no. Then after some pressing he says that Bruce can call Verizon customer service and make me an “authorized user.”
So I call Bruce, but as I wait around,

Dave approaches again to tell me that I should just go ahead and go home and order it online.

I said, “why my husband is calling customer service right now.”

Dave says, “oh well I will have to charge you $20 more to get it here at the store.”

“WHAT?”

“Yes, because you aren’t the main line we charge an extra $20 to get your phone in the store.”
“Why didn’t they let me know that when they told me to come back to this store to get it?”
“Well that’s the policy..”

“Can’t there be an exception, I have driven 40 minutes from my house to get there?”

“No.”
“But there is no information anywhere on the website indicating this, no one told me last time.”

“Sorry.”

There was some more banter with me trying to get him to even ask a manager to see. His answers: “No, No, No, No No and again just get it on the internet.
I will have to come back here to get all my numbers transferred.”
“Yes we will be happy to do that for free, but you have to come back.”
“What….”


I got so frustrated I left; I called Bruce on my way out to vent. He asked had I left yet, I said, yes. He told me to turn around. Then he called customer service again. And they did exactly what Dave refused to do, made an exception, however they said it was odd, because they don’t usually charge the $20 fee. Hmmmm. I am starting to feel that Dave wasn’t interested in helping me at all.


I went back, under duress. I wanted to say that’s it with Verizon Wireless. However, since I had convinced my entire family to use verizon wireless, I could not very well switch now. So I went back, this time they sent me to customer service, which I quickly learned is where I should have been in the first place.

Here we introduce Brandy, super customer service rep. She was so nice and get this HELPFUL. Dave could learn a few, well everything from her.
It turns out Dave works on commission and probably didn’t see me as $$, but I am just wondering why in the hell he didn’t send me there in the first place.

Brandy was able to hook my up with my snazzy new phone, with get this not charging me the $20 additional fee. She was so helpful and she even listened to me vent about my earlier experience. She made me feel that I wasn’t being unreasonable at all. So if you are ever going to the Verizon wireless store in Utica, Michigan on Hall Road, make sure you ask for Brandy and steer clear of the least helpful sales person ever: Dave.

No comments: