Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Blueberry Picking

Today Bruce and I went blueberry picking in Capac. To be exact we were at the King's Blueridge Blueberry Farm. We tried to go the farm in Imlay City, but they are apparently only open on Sunday & Saturday. So now we are forever committed to picking our blueberries in St. Clair County.

I have not been blueberry picking since I went with my mom as a little kid in Dexter, Michigan. It is fun, especially eating your body weight in blueberries while you are there. However, I did pick more for my bucket than I ate, which was first. See I must be getting more responsible as I grow older. I maintain that I am just product testing while I am there, I want to make sure that I like the berries from the bush I am picking from. Plus blueberries are high in anti-oxidants: so I figure I am fighting cancer at the same time.

When we got there they warned us that it wasn't very good pickin's but none the less we came home with 6 pounds of blueberries. Please note that I picked 4 of those pounds (pictured above,) Bruce picked 2. It is a steal though, u-pick blueberries are $1.50 a pound, compare to the $2.50 you spend at the store.

Plus when you pick you get to enjoy time outdoors. And the sound machines in the fields that are supposed to keep the birds away, they changed between high pitch chirping, to what I thought were the sounds of seagulls, to crows to this weird dying cow sounds. Needless to say the best blueberries where found around these machines. Mainly because I think no one wanted to pick there for fear of going insane. At one point when I was close to these noise machines, I could swear that any minutes I was going to be chased down by crows and eaten alive. Who knows? Maybe other people don't have the imagination I do or haven't seen Tippie Hedren in Birds.


We spent about an hour picking, Bruce however started asking if we could leave at 30 minutes. We bought some homemade molasses cookies that were fab and now I have to figure out what to do with my hordes of blueberries. I believe a pie is in order with vanilla ice cream!

No comments: