Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Calling on All Running Princesses

So I figured since I am enjoying the post marathon runner's high. Well that is what I am attributing this too - I am ready to try again - ok maybe halfway ready to try again. I've signed up for the Disney Princess Half Marathon on March 8th. (Meghan will sign up as soon as she sees proof that I have and really since she lives in Orlando and I will be crashing at her place she really can't say no.)

It's the inaugural race and for the love of God the medal is in the shape of tiara - what could be better. The only bummer is that it is advertised for women - and Bruce is refusing to sign up. I told him that we will just put him in a pink shirt and tiara and call it a day. But he seems to think that won't work. So I am signing him up for the Royal Family 5k.

So to begin my newest training - on Saturday I was inspired - no not to run yet - but to buy new shoes. I had logged 400+ miles on my running shoes and it was time to buy new ones. We went to our favorite running store - Hanson's in Uttica. The guy working was the same one who was there last time we stopped in and on that trip we learned that he too was running Chicago. His goal time was somewhat faster than ours. He wanted to run a 2:14 (yes two hours and 14 minute marathon - we again were hoping for 4:45.) So of course on Saturday we asked him how he did - well he finished 7th - the first American to cross the line - the only American in the top 10 and his time was an amazing 2:16. Suddenly my 6 hour marathon became a way more embarassing story. However the coolest thing is - he was nice enough to pretend to listen.

Bruce and I left there even more amazed. Of course we don't even know his name - he's just our favorite guy at the running store. So I immediately looked up the marathon results. His name is Mike Reneau. Which of course only tonight did I "googled" him. And what is even more amazing is that he has only been running since 2004. Yes - it's crazy. I assumed he was one of those prodigy runners that ran all through high school and into college. No he got started in running marathons when he took a "marathon running" class as an "easy" elective his senior year at the University of Wisconsin. He ran his first marathon at 2hours 36 minutes. I wondering if I should sign up for this class. Here are links to two fascinating articles - one in the Washington Post and one in the Chicago Tribune.

However on Sunday - it was the Detroit marathon a perfect chilly temperature (I am only wondering where this weather was last week.) Bruce and I woke really early to head down to Detroit to cheer on Mary. She was running her first half-marathon and let's just say her training over the past couple weeks had not been easy. So as a fellow "seasoned (ha)" runner I wanted to show my support - by yelling foolishly from the sidewalk. I consider my work cheering best served at the back of the pack - I yell for anyone and everyone - sometimes I little too loudly for my husband's liking. However I tell him that if it embarasses him so much he can walk away and pretend he doesn't know me - there is no rule that he has to stand next to me. Because I won't stop yelling.

Needless to say my planning wasn't steller - I failed to ask Mary what she would be wearing - so we missed her at mile 1 and at mile 3. We tried the internet tracking device with a pitstop at channel 4 and well that didn't work at all. Then we headed to mile 12 - were we waited for her (and I spent most of that wait cheering for everyone and embarassing Bruce.) Just at the point - I was feeling really dumb that we came all that way and she wouldn't even know we were there - there she was! Of course I yelled cheered and screamed loudly for her! I ran out to catch her and run a couple hundred yards with her. She was amazing. I am so proud of her. It takes a lot to get out and run - so to power through like she did - is just awesome. And since I cannot do her story justice - she happened to write a long email to tell everyone about it because she lost her voice - so I will let you hear it from her in here own words. See the posting below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenny: You are a true inspiration. What a far way you and Bruce have come w/ your running. Hopefully it will motivate me to get back on the road as I have been horrible, horrible about running lately. Hope all is well. Andrew (your former PR dude)...