Monday, October 06, 2008

5 Days 14 hours 49 Minutes 17 Seconds Until Chicago
(as of this blog)

Ok - we are just six days until Bruce and I (and his dad - but he will finish long before us) run the marathon in Chicago. This is the third time I have signed up for the marathon and hopefully the first time I will finish. Between working in TV news and being well a natural born klutz - I have paid entrance fees, started training and well never finished the race. So let's hope that number three is a charm.

Now this question keeps coming up: "How far is the race?" So please for the moment let me get on high horse and say - a marathon is always 26.2 miles (or 42.195 Kilometers.) And has been 26.2 miles since 1924 - before that it varied by a mile or two. According to our friends at wikipedia. The event is named after the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon to Athens. The legend states that he was sent from the town of Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians had been defeated in the Battle of Marathon. It is said that he ran the entire distance without stopping and burst into the assembly, exclaiming "Νενικήκαμεν" (Nenikékamen, 'We have won.') before collapsing and dying. Which is well very possible for me on Sunday - however I have been training so let's hope that it is not probable.

Bruce and I will head to Chicago to not only run the marathon but celebrate my dad's 29th birthday and Megan's 19th birthday! Plus Robear and Heather are coming in from Lima to cheer us on. I am very lucky to have a built in cheering section in Chicago and two great friends that are willing to drive-in to cheer.

However, if you aren't coming to Chi-town - don't feel left out. You too can track my progress - electronically. You can sign-up online and the marathon will text or email you when I get to 4 locations on the route (one of which is the finish.) All you need is my bib number - which is 26822.

I will be running with Bruce - which has made this experience more rewarding no matter how well I do at the race on Sunday. We have had a great time running together all summer through Europe and back here in Michigan. So wish me luck - and when bring advil for the next time I see you because I have a feeling I might still be sore.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I'll be cheering you on!