Friday, March 14, 2008

The Illustrator Icon Project

So this week in my classroom we are working with Adobe Illustrator. It is probably the most challenging program for most of my students to learn.

When they are finished with the book, I have them create an icon from themselves, by tracing a picture. This being the first year I did the project I had no examples, so I had to attempt to create one myself. The problem is that I am not an artist (I avoided art at high school because well lets just say the teacher was known for rescuing road kill and bringing it in to class - mainly possums which are not my cup of tea.)

So here's the what I created.... first here is the photo that I used to trace. This is actually my favorite photo of me that Bruce took while we were in Arkansas for a week long training. This night we went to the President Clinton Library to take some photos.


Now here is my illustrated version of it. I am not claiming it's great, but to be honest it was my second attempt. I am honest with my students that I am not an artist. So frankly, I don't think it's that bad... hence it's my new profile picture.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I like it. I think you did a good job, much better than any of my attempts at illustrator if we can remember that far back :)

Beach Bum said...

Very cool! I'm totally impressed! It's neat to see the two pics together! Kind of like a before and after thing! Human turns cartoon! Love it! Draw me!

Anonymous said...

That's great. I've waded into Illustrator a few times myself, and I know for us non-artists it's not very intuitive. All I've ever really done in it is to type in a circle, then take it into After Effects to animate. Now I'm inspired to do one of Olive in Illustrator.