Sunday, September 30, 2007

G. Love & Special Sauce
DVD Premiere


Last night the girls got together for the official viewing of the G. Love & Special Sauce DVD - A Year and a Night. I actually ordered the DVD when I was in Europe only to have it arrive while I was gone. But I knew that I couldn't watch it without the company of Olive and Angie. I left it sealed to prove that I hadn't watched it yet.

So last night with pizza and fresh apple cider (straight from the orchard -- yes I know what you are thinking we are real wild and crazy, I think that's probably what G. Love thought when he met us.) We settled in for the premiere of the G. Love DVD.

Here's my review:

The first thing I thought is I could have done this. Yes, that journalism degree and working in television would have done the trick -- to be honest the editing and video work did not blow me away. As I was watching I actually got a little pissed off thinking why didn't I do this, I could have hung out with the band for a year and produced a much better film. Then I remembered that would have never happened...

Things I liked. I really liked the band interaction, however most of the interaction we saw was fighting. It appears after 13 years of traveling on the road together you are more like squabbling siblings than anything else. Which I actually appreciated -- and which leaves me to say I wish there was more of. I love the band for the music, that is why I travel to places like Toledo and Grand Rapids to see their shows. However, I guess with the DVD I was looking for more insight into the band - things I don't get to see on stage. I got a little but I think I would have liked more. Also they introduced everyone but the newest member Mark Boyce, he joined the band during the middle of filming but there was no formal interview with him. I think it was noticeably missing.

Next as I kept watching, I realized how much I enjoy Houseman. They would go up to fans before shows and ask people who else in the band they liked and virtually no one knew anyone else's name. (I am proud to say I know the entire band - G. Love, Jimi Jazz, Houseman & Mark.) I have always enjoyed House Man and when we met the band this summer, House Man's stock grew. During the DVD, I kept waiting for more Houseman clips and felt disappointed when it was over because I wanted more Houseman. Funny, G. Love made a comment to Houseman that he could do it his way when it was Houseman and Special Sauce -- I am not going to lie to you, I would buy that DVD.

3 comments:

wet cat carl said...

when do you wanna go for coffee?

Anonymous said...

i second your review - more Houseman! and i'm ready for them to come back to the midwest now.

Unknown said...

i think i missed a good chunk of the middle during the bedtime fiasco. i may have to borrow it from one of you. . .