Saturday, June 10, 2006

All Aboard... My first experiences on Amtrak.

Besides having to wake up at 5:20 am on a Saturday, to catch 6:05 am train it wasn't that bad. I boarded the train in Lapeer. I paid for my ticket "on the train," sort of. I had to get off the train in Flint and pay at the ticket window. The good news is the train did wait for me to reboard. The ride was pleasant. We stopped quite a few times in Michigan, however once we got past Flint I have to admit I was asleep. I woke up in Kalamazoo. The last stop was in Dowagiac, then from there we went directly to Chicago. I really found it to be a relaxing ride. I made one trip to the dinning car for a coffee. I enjoyed looking out the window at the countryside, I know the I-94 trip to Chicago by heart, it was nice to change it up a litte. We arrived to Chicago 10 minutes. As I was riding the train, I found myself a big fan, despite the ticket debockle earlier in the week. I will take Amtrak again. I think it would be a fun way to travel this summer, since I have a lot of time off. I am not sure it's the way to go if you are in a hurry, but its definately a great way to see the countryside. stay tuned for my next trip by rail in the states.

No comments: